Understanding Digital Wallets
What is a Digital Wallet?
A digital wallet is similar in nature to the physical wallet a patient may carry around. With digital wallets, patients keep their credit or debit cards with them for quick access. Instead of being stored in a physical wallet their information is stored in their device. This is most commonly a mobile phone but could also be a tablet or laptop depending on the type of digital wallet. Different wallets have some distinctive features but all work in similar ways and can be used for in-store and online payment transactions.
What can a digital wallet store?
- Credit/Debit cards
- Gift cards
- Membership/Loyalty cards
- Event tickets
- Plane/Transit tickets
- Hotel reservations
- Identification cards
Well known types of Digital Wallets
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Samsung Pay
- Cash App
How do they work?
When a patient uses their mobile phone to pay, they’re using their digital wallet. When the credit card terminal requests the card information it requires them to use Touch ID or a PIN to continue. Their device then sends the virtual card or token information to the credit card terminal and that information is passed on to the credit card processor. The processor then uses that information to complete the transaction. Online transactions work in a similar fashion and your device prompts you to use your Touch ID or PIN to complete the transaction.
Why support Digital Wallets?
- Removes the need for patients to carry physical wallet/cards everywhere they go.
- Provides a more consistent payment experience across in-store and online payment scenarios.
- Added security measures associated with digital wallets reduce the risk of credit cards or personal information being exposed to unwanted parties.
- Limits credit card information to devices controlled by consumers and their trusted parties, like their bank.
- Reduces the risk for your organization by not having to directly handle a patient’s credit card information.
- Provides flexible payment options for patients.
- Improves a business’s ability to meet needs for people in underserved areas.
How to Enable Digital Wallets
To learn how to enable digital wallets for your patients, please use the links below. You can also reach out to your Customer Success Manager for more guidance.
Note: You need to be logged into Zendesk to access these links.